|Project by shipwright||posted 838 days ago||8648 views||45 times favorited||55 comments|
So I was thinking….If I’m going to get serious about marquetry, I really need a chevalet. I’ve been thinking about them ever since the last time I was in Europe and saw them still in use. Unfortunately there aren’t a lot of free plans around so I sort of designed my own from the photos I was able to find on the internet, not too hard really. The important thing is that as soon as it was finished and I started to use it I was able to cut far more accurate pieces than I ever would have achieved with my scroll saw…..right off the bat. It really gives me the feeling that there’s almost nothing I couldn’t do with it after a little practice.
The whole thing was built with my ShopSmith 510 that is my shop here in Green Valley and for the SS nay-sayers it only took about 40 hours. Most of the material is fir from an old beam I had to replace in my patio roof support structure because one foot of it was rotten. The rest is a little mesquite and bois d’arc both generously donated to the cause by LJ Gene Howe. Thanks Gene!
Counting the $37 I spent on linear motion bushings and a precision shaft, I’m in it for around $50 or $60.
Photo #2 The veneer packet clamping device
Photo #3 The handle knob from mesquite
Photo #4 Cutting position
Photo #5 A little border of grape vines I’m doing as a test.
Let the marquetry begin !
The Blog is up: http://lumberjocks.com/shipwright/blog/21773
Updated: Operating videos here .
New improved sketchup here
-- Paul M ..............If God wanted us to have fiberglass boats he would have given us fiberglass trees. http://prmdesigns.com/