|Project by Blake Thornton||posted 03-04-2011 02:34 AM||1617 views||0 times favorited||5 comments|
Turned this out of a piece of Madrone Burl that had been boiled to stabalize but not dried… the wet burl probably weighed 50 lbs.
We used a OneWay 2436 3HP lathe, and the OneWay oring system to pull out the core, which will make a beautiful small bowl.
It’s about a half inch thick because it was so wet, didn’t want it to move as it dried.
Power sanded to 400grit, so far I’ve put a single coat of Polyurethane on it, I’ll hand sand it with 600grit and put several more layers of Poly on it as it dries more.