|Project by rodneyh||posted 03-03-2011 02:44 AM||1911 views||6 times favorited||8 comments|
This is my 1st venture back into woodworking after being away for about 25 years. The design is from a Stickley mirror that’s something like 36×18. Mine is about 16×29, so I adjusted the proportions a bit untill I thought they looked about right. I did 2 of these. The second is identical, but about 6” wider.
Just getting my shop going, so I’ll put up some reviews on my new tools soon. Don’t have the tools yet for the M&T, so I faked them (blasphemy!!) so that they’d match future similar frames. I figure I’m in about $850 each for my 2 frames, so I promised my wife that the next 2 would only cost half as much.
I used Jeff Jewitt’s recipe for a Stickley centennial finish. I couldn’t find the Bartley dark brown mahogany gel stain, so I sub’d the General Finishes antique walnut gel stain. I think it turned out great (though I don’t have any Stickley pieces with that finish for direct comparison), and I’ll need that stain anyhow to do the Stickley Fayetteville finish on my next projects.