|Project by Rick Dennington||posted 02-25-2011 09:18 AM||11239 views||26 times favorited||34 comments|
About 6 months ago, I sketched up and drew the plans for this saw cabinet. But other projects for a few customers kept me from building the cabinet. So when I finally got caught up on those, it was time to get started. I had 1 drawer under the saw for a long time, but quickly ran out of room in it. I wanted a cabinet that would have plenty of drawers for all my plunder to go in them. So this is what I came up with:
The cabinet is 30” high, 31” wide, and 23” deep. With 2” locking casters it made it 32” high…perfect to fit under the saw. The carcuss is 3/4” Birch ply (American, not Chinese). I cut 3/4”x 3/8th” rabbits on the top and bottom of the sides, a 1/4”x 1/4” dado along the back of the sides for the back panel, set the top and bottom in the rabbits, glued and nailed them in place with 18 gauge nails…no screws at all. Clamped it up making sure eveything was square, and let it dry for about 4 hours. After it dried, I trimmed the outter edges around the box with 3/4”x 3/4” oak hardwood. Glued and pinned it again with 18 gaude nails, and filled the nail holes. Next came the slides. I used 22” K/V 8400 bb full extention slides, and spaced them out equally to be able to fit 4 drawers in. Once that was done, it was time to build some drawers. I wanted the drawers to be 6”, and after coming up 1/4” from the bottom and cutting a 1/4” dado for the bottom, the drawers would be 5 1/2” deep x 28 1/2” wide and 22” long. I cut all the drawer parts and bottoms and assembled them, always checking for square. The inside diminsion of the box was 29/1/2” minus 1” = 28 1/2” wide drawers. I use what I call the “1” rule in spacing between the drawers…works evey time.. Now it’s time to build the overlays for the drawers. With the plywood I had left over is what I used for the fronts. After careful measuring and spacing between each drawer, I used a 1/8” shim to space the drawer fronts. Then I pinned the drawers with 1” 18 gauge nails, and screwed down the overlays to the drawer fronts with 1” square-drive screws 1” long. When it was assembled, I filled the nail holes. I lightly sanded everything down with 220, put on 3 coats of a 50-50 mix of tung oil and mineral spirits, letting each coat dry about 6 hours each. Once dry, I moved it in place under the saw table extention.
It fit perfectly, with about 1” of clearence. Now I’ve got plenty of storage for everything I need at the saw. Thanks for looking, and feel free to make one for yourself…you’ll be glad you did….....
-- Here in the South, we say "down the road a piece"...and , "it's over yonder".....!!