|Project by RandyMorter||posted 02-25-2011 05:51 AM||1545 views||2 times favorited||10 comments|
This is my first box out of nice wood. The sides are purpleheart and the trim is oak. I have 1/4” plywood for the bottom of the main box and the tray.
It’s about 7” wide by 4-5/16” deep and about 5” tall. The side dimensions were based on the golden ratio.
I had problems with cutting the purple heart as you can see on the inside of the box. And that was with a piece of backing material. I think it’s time to upgrade my blade. Those cuts were done on my Ryobi miter saw which is 5 years old or so, and still has the stock blade in it. Not that a lot of wood has passed through it in that time, but I think I need a finer tooth blade if I want to get better cuts with this type of wood.
I came up with the idea for the sliding tray as something to try. It just slides left to right in the dado but can’t be removed. I had problems with it though – I decided I needed to spray some shellac in the interior before glue up since it’d be hard to reach once the tray was in it after it was glued up. However that caused the tray to bind. I ended up having to sand the edges of the tray (I was thankful for the Ridgid belt sander for this). I also waxed the inside of the dado cut to help the sliding and now it slides easily. The tray is two pieces of purpleheart with rabbets glued to the plywood bottom. The plywood bottom extends past the edges of the purpleheart to fit into the dados of the interior front and back.
I put white felt on the bottom of the box and tray. I didn’t want to flock because I didn’t want to cover the purpleheart (although covering the tearout was tempting!). The felt went on pretty easily because I put it on the pieces before glue up (I couldn’t have put the bottom piece on with the tray in place).
I tried doing a framed lid. It’s not bad but I learned afterwards you should just glue the frame and then fit the center piece to it. I actually glued all 5 pieces together at the same time. I was still happy with how square it turned out but it was a bear getting it to line up and stay that way. It doesn’t really show but the oak pieces are chamfered on the inside / bottom of the lid to the depth of the insert so the insert had to be held up during glue up. I was able to use my new drill press to drill the holes for the hinges and REALLY liked that I had it available!
The oak base does not wrap all the way around (I guess I forgot to take a picture of the base and the units in the mail now). It’s only 3/4” wide pieces with miter joints glued to the front and two sides.
I used some danish oil on the oak to help bring out the grain, spray shellac on the interior, and General Finish Arm-R-Seal on the exterior. Finsished it off with some paste wax. I don’t know if I’ll use much else!
This is going to my oldest grand-daughter.
1. Purpleheart is prone to tear out, at least with my saw blade (I didn’t have any issues with the router).
2. For framed lids, complete the frame first and then fit the insert to it, sanding a little at a time for a good fit.
3. Fill in the grain on the oak for a more polished look.
4. Time to move on to some better joints and deeper lids.
-- Randy Morter, Phoenix, AZ