|Project by RandyMorter||posted 02-23-2011 03:57 AM||6177 views||12 times favorited||11 comments|
I needed a stand for my sander instead of using it on my table saw. I looked for stands at all the local suspects and decided that 1) I could make a wood stand cheaper than any I saw, and 2) it would be the exact size I needed.
I drew up a plan in SketchUp, with the three dimensions I cared about taken into consideration. I decided to make it almost as high as my router table, which even though I thought it was too high at first, now I like that the work pieces are up where I can see and handle them without bending over. I made the table so that the sander table would be an inch lower than my router. I also had to be concerned with the distance between the mounting holes, both side-to-side and front-to-back.
I had a couple of 2×6’s around so decided I’d use them. I ended up needing another few feet worth of material so I picked up a 2×4. The end product uses almost all of the 3 eight foot dimension pieces. I also had waited until I got my new drill press to do the clearance and pilot holes.
As you can see, there isn’t much too it. It’s mainly just lumber and lag bolts. It’s probably a bit overkill with the 2×6’s but, except for the plywood, it cost about $20 (about $9 just for the casters).
I made two of the legs longer than the other two and put some casters with brakes on the short legs. You can barely see them peeking out on the left side of picture #2. The sander itself has a handle so I didn’t add another handle to the stand.
I put in a couple of pieces of 1/4” plywood for two shelves. I can put my two portable sanders on the upper shelf and my sand paper on the bottom shelf. I could still use better storage for the sand paper but it’s nice to have all my sanding related items together.
I think I’ll eventually enclose the bottom to keep saw dust out of it.
After I got this done patcollins posted a review here of a Harbor Freight stand that looks like it’d be perfect for the sander and it costs $28 or so.
I’ve enclosed both sides and the back with some luan. It’ll help keep the dust out and it keeps things from falling out the back.
I chisled out a little bit on the left side to glue a 1/4×20 nut and drilled a hole behind it to use for storing the stop mechanism. I take it off when using the spindle option. I also made a little wooden “wrench” with 5 lobes to fit over the soft rubber knob that holds the spindle and belt assembly down. It seems to tighten itself, at least when using the belt, and since it’s a 5-lobe rubber coated knob I had to use pliers to loosen it. I read of another LJer that made their own wrench so I copied them. This knob could stand to be a regular bolt or to have a bigger “t” handle or something.
-- Randy Morter, Phoenix, AZ