|Project by RobS||posted 1953 days ago||1540 views||0 times favorited||21 comments|
Bee-ing all they can bee.
I stumbled across a dried up cedar tree with several branches still attached. Thinking I might bee able to use the trunk for some salvageable wood, I started to saw off the branches. Bee-lieve it or not this is what I found. Carpenter bees had tunneled nests all throughout the tree, up and down the trunk and branches. I was amazed at not only the lengths some of these bees went to but also how nice and round they drilled the holes.
Not wanting to simply discard some of the larger branches I elected to make these desk top holders, one for each of my children.
This was an extremely quick and easy project, the tops were already slanted since I cut them off right next to the trunk, so I simply cut the bottoms flat, sanded and coated with a little oil.
Of course I removed all the bees first, er.. uh.. well… I think I did. Ha. Enjoy kids…
-- Rob (A) Waxahachie,TX