|Project by MsDebbieP||posted 01-11-2008 05:09 PM||3089 views||2 times favorited||61 comments|
Adapted from a 1943 plan for a Fern Planter Box, I used the pattern for the scroll work.
I blogged about cutting the sides out on the scroll saw in a blog posted a while ago. (see blog) . The wood is some re-purposed lacquered maple, left over from projects at Rick’s place of work. (We think it is maple).
The corners were the challenge for me. Using walnut, my other supply of wood in the shop, I cut the four legs and then created grooves to hold the side pieces. It was a challenge to not only cut them (I used my mitre saw and router plane) but to make them even for all four sides.
The bottom is another piece of the lacqured maple, set in the box as a shelf.
For the top, I debated whether I should add a lid. I already had the “tongues” from the tongue and groove wood and I could create a sliding lid. But, since it is a planter box the lid would not be a functional addition so I decided to leave it as is.
Buy some little pots and plant some ferns in them and display them proudly in my new box.
Awards Results: (For my future reference)
Pretty darned pleased with the box and the Awards results.
Score: 16 points
(1 vote for first; (someone must have been drunk and hit the wrong button hahaha) 2 votes each for 3rd and 4th and one vote for fifth.) That is pretty darned cool. I am so proud.
Came in 23rd of 50 entries (that’s in the top half.. again that is awesome)
And for the “Top Overall” Award, it was 38th of 62. Dang that is sweet.
thank you to everyone who checked out my entry and who voted for it. What a wondeful honour.
-- ~ Debbie, Canada (https://www.facebook.com/DebbiePribeleENJOConsultant)