|Project by JasonWagner||posted 02-20-2011 12:44 AM||3617 views||20 times favorited||30 comments|
UPDATE- In the last picture I show the 2nd lid for this box. The first one (that you see on the box in the other pictures) I didn’t like some gaps in the inlay. I tried to fix them but ended up ruining the lid. I’d rather make a new one than look at my mistakes forever. So I didn’t have much material but managed to make a new lid that I actually like. The lighter colored wood is pine that’s got some birds eye in it. Hard to tell in the pictures.
This is my third art box following Andy’s original designs. I wanted to make this box for myself and push the limits of the material I removed. The box is canary wood with a nice vein of red near the white sapwood. I used bloodwood and maple for the lid inlay and the miter splines.
I first had a problem while routing out the rabbet for the lid to swing down. The canary wood tore out on the last pass and I cut a deeper groove in the back than I should have. Luckily it is under the lid and behind it when you lift it. From this point on I knew the box wouldn’t be perfect. I sandwiched the wood for the splines and it worked well. I wanted to do a spline within a spline, but did not have the material.
I did not have a large enough piece of bloodwood for the whole lid so I framed a piece of maple with excess canary wood then inset the bloodwood into the lid. My screw up here was that the my router slipped several times because the hole in the jig I used was almost as big as the router base. I made some deeper than desired gouges in the inlay. No problem since the inlay would cover it.
Then while carving I got the idea to go through the bloodwood in some spots to expose the white maple. This looks cool, but exposed some of my errors from before. I patched them with some tinted wood putty, but am definitely keeping this box for myself now.
I removed my miter saw from it’s dust collection perch and did my sanding in a makeshift hood. This worked out very well as compared to last time. I made a huge mess removing stock with my angle grinder and not collecting the dust. This time there was barely and visible in the air.
I still need to get hinge pins for this box but wanted to get some photos up while I have the time. It’s basically done and I’ve once again learned several lessons!
-- some day I hope to have enough clamps to need a clamp cart!