|Project by CDavy||posted 02-20-2011 01:19 PM||14675 views||7 times favorited||18 comments|
This is a rocking horse I did for my niece. It is a modified design of a rocking horse my grandpa did for my dad. It is all solid 1×8 Poplar. I made MDF templates of all the pieces before I started as way to insure uniformity and make it easier if I ever build more. The head/tail center section is 1×8 pieces jointed and glued with dowels. Then 2 pieces were attached to build up the support for the seat. I Stained the entire horse with 2 coats of Golden Oak stain that was left over from some door projects. Then I used masking tape to mark off the details (bridal, mane, hooves, tail etc) and used a red mahogany gel stain to reduce the “bleeding” under the masking tape. It took about 4 applications of gel satin to get the tint I wanted. The fine facial details were done with acrylic paints and a small brush. Then I added some metal coat buttons for accents. Finally the whole thing received 6 sprayed coats of Gloss Polycrylic. The original was painted white and black but I preferred the warm look of the stain/poly finish.
-- “Knowledge is limited; but imagination encircles the world”~Albert Einstein