|Project by cmckerliesr||posted 02-14-2011 09:46 PM||1417 views||1 time favorited||9 comments|
This was a quick Valentines Present for my wife. Before anyone asks, yes today is my birthday I am 4.9 years old today. That is not a typo. I refuse to use the typical age in years. I’d rather stick with what I know, and I know I am still a kid.
Well this was a first for me, the very first time I ever attempted flocking. I mean, I know it is not rocket science. But I was always thinking I would put to much or not enough glue down, or screw it up some other way. But I like the way it turned out.
I used of course a scrollsaw pattern I had to make the lid an 1/8 inch piece of what? Damn! Now it escapes me, I do not have it here with me. Well suffice it to say its wood. LOL, yes sacarsim implied. Old age just set in. The original pattern had a 1” thick piece of stock, cut using the scrollsaw too separate an inner and outer piece in the shape of the heart and a bottom that was to be made of the same stock as the top, but with no fret work.
I cut out the two 1/8 inch pieces just fine. I checked my blade alignment and set out to cut the 1 inch stock into inner and outer heart shapes to form the box. But, either my blade became bent, I did not have enough tension on it, I do not know what. But, it did not come out. To top side of the thick stock looked fine. But the bottom, was thin.
So, I tried again. Same result. There was no debris on the table, everything was in alignment.
Then, I just decided to make the bottom you see. I got a piece of scrap 1/4 inch and traced the heart shape from the lid onto it. Using the scrollsaw, I cut it out. I started digging through scraps and ran across the 1-1/4 inch piece you see. I then, used some double sided tape to hold the pattern down on top of the stock and put it on some bench dogs. I then dug out my old porter cable router. I put a 1/4 inch guide in the base, and using a 1/4 inch strait bit I routed out the interior, in four passes.
Of course, I sanded the snot out of all the pieces.
Kind of a side note:
Fret work sanding. I recently had bought one of those scroll saw sanding kits. Where you apply adhesive backed sandpaper strips to these thin metal strips. It has its uses and I like it. Some times the peeling of the backing gets to me, but this is just because some times I have a hard time getting them apart. Recently I was at a hobby shop near by. The have lost of RC stuff, trains, and models. While there I ran across this little flexible frame with sandpaper stretched across it. (I’ll give details about it in a blog entry). In any case, this works really well for sanding fret work, especially when you have already spent a lot of time at the scroll saw and maybe want a break, but also want to finish sanding the project. It came with several pieces of sanding paper with grits from 150 to 600. I think you can get higher grits, but so far this has been fine. The one draw back to both systems though is size. I still run into some small areas I would like to clean up, but I do not have anything that will fit. The system from the hobby shop is thinner in width and will go into some areas the scroll saw system won’t.
Back to the project.
It just so happens I was at a craft store trying to locate a color of glitter for another purse hook project I did for someone. (long story, weird color, had to mix clay and glitter for inlay). When I found the flocking.
Since it was ready for finish, I went ahead and spread some glue inside and adding the flocking. At first I did not see enough of it coming out, so I shook the jar a little harder. BIG MISTAKE! A little red cloud floated up and all over everything in the general area. But as you can see, I got it done, and will be giving it to my wife tonight.
Well I hope if nothing else you got a little chuckle out of this. I just can not take myself too seriously on some things.
I do wish I had photographed the purse hook. But it pissed me off several times, so I just wanted it out of my shop. Why did it piss me off? The inlay was his wives initial A. I hate A. Long story short, I had quite the time scaling the A and getting the cross member of the A to come decently.
I will leave it there.
Remember to keep making saw dust!
UPDATE (2/20/2011): About the sanding of the fret work.
I finally got off my but and located part of the package in which contained the flexible sanding frame. It turns out is is called “FLEX I FRAME #700 Starter Set”. If I remember correctly I paid about $8 for the frame and several pieces of sand paper and an anodized aluminum frame.
So, now you know what it is I bought and if you are looking to try it out for yourself you know what you are looking for.
Best Wishes from the can!
-- The Man in the Can, Craig M. North Carolina