|Project by mcjibbin||posted 02-13-2011 12:15 AM||4620 views||12 times favorited||22 comments|
I am in the process of restoring a bunch of old Stanley/Bailey planes, and many of them had broken or damaged totes/knobs. This was my first attempt at making my own tote/knob set. I chose Zebrawood, and I decided to make 2 knobs and 2 totes. Obviously, the knobs were turned on a lathe. The totes were a bit trickier. First I cut out the outline with a scroll saw. Next, I routered/chiseled them for more shape. I finished the contours by chucking up a sandpaper cone in the lathe, and working the tote on the cone with my hands. The totes and knobs were then finished with many rubbings of a special blend of spar varnish and oil to give them a glossy, durable finish. I quite enjoyed this project, and I will most definitely be making more.