|Project by reedwood||posted 1295 days ago||2718 views||15 times favorited||17 comments|
These cabinets are made of prefinished clr. maple plywood with solid maple doors and face frames.
There are double rods in the left and right tall cabinets with 4 shelves above the center drawers.
The black granite counter tops have an interesting texture to them, like leather.
Dovetailed drawers are made of 3/4” solid maple and have HD full extension slides.
My shop is small and I don’t have a spray booth so I like to buy 3/4 prefinished clear maple plywood for the casework, wrap with hardwood panels and solid frames and have them sprayed by my cabinet finisher.
Then I install them prefinished with biscuits.
The finish is Zar oil base stain that was sprayed on followed by 2 coats of poly.
FYI- you have to tell these guys to finish all sides of the face frame if you prefer it. .
These stacking units are tough to install inside a cabinet due to the exhaust vent and the water supply box. Code requires that it be accessible for service so we put it inside the broom closet and the vent slides in to a foam donut placed in just the right spot.
We also had to install a drain pan with a separate drain that connected over 10 ft away to avoid soap foam backing up under unit and to help with odors.
Alberto helped me build this unit. He is a proud cabinet maker who loves woodworking too.
We had a SS pan made (200.00) that was exactly the size of inside the cabinet x 1” tall. and glued it to the new treated sub floor. The 1/2” durock and tile butted flush to top of the pan’s front edge. We installed using silicone, treated 1” x 3” cleats with 2” holes x 3/16” deep, in front only, for the feet to keep it from walking.
To remove, just unhook lines, grab the bottom and lift slightly and pull it forward. Plug is behind unit and easy to reach once unit is out. The exhaust was the tough part. to get the unit this tight you can’t use a flex vent.
Note: this pan requires that you pour a pint of water in it every 6-9 mos. to keep the p trap full to prevent odors from backing up. a plant watering can works great.
The floor joists were doubled and blocked to prevent shaking and noise from vibration. Very important on a second floor. I wouldn’t recommend installing these units on a 2nd floor without a wall directly under it.
2nd floor addition in production.
We also refinished the oak floors, repainted the hallway, 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms, replaced all the plumbing fixtures and towel bars, replaced all the closet interiors, door hardware and hung the curtains.
The full glass pocket door has a cool bamboo pattern.
Hello max,..... sup kitty?
This was a big project which made a huge difference.
EDIT: Added Bonus project!
This 1980’s existing bookcase cabinet was hung 12” up off the floor and had deep straight sides with a square formica top. It seemed top heavy and made it hard to get in and out of bed, plus it was dated and ready for new face.
I replaced the c top with maple plywood with notched corners and corbels, narrowed and cut back the top sides in an arch, replaced the face frame and added a 1/4” bead plus an ogee cut detail on the middle rail,
...replaced the warped solid pine shelves, added a light, extended the legs to the floor, drilled 5mm holes for new adjustable shelves and added shoe and crown.
I sanded and filled every little imperfection before giving it several coats of primer
followed by more sanding and two coats of white oil base paint, satin Empervo by Benjamin Moore.
I wish I had a before shot. This looks much better.
-- Mark - I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude. - Malo periculosam