|Project by steliart||posted 02-06-2011 04:04 PM||6898 views||19 times favorited||23 comments|
Improving my bench-top Drill Press
My bench top drill press is nothing expensive or special, it serves me ok for the kind of woodworking I do, but they were still a few things that I could do or modify to give it a better workability lift-up.
One of the first things I did was to change its old pole with a stainless steel one. Why stainless steel? Well it was the only piece I could find that matched the diameter and you can slide up and down smoother. So the pole got a lift-up of about a foot taller.
On that pole I attached a drill press accessory bar made from a piece of aluminum angle and two shallow boxes from ¼ inch MDF, and it has been proven to be a very useful asset to my drill press. Many small things can easily found there way into it and there are easily accessible when you need them as well as your drill bits sets.
I also made a drill press table using a laminated office shelve as a base, together with a plywood fence with a stop block. The fence was constructed from two pieces of plywood grooved and glued together to create the t-track opening. It pivots at one point and this helps to move the fence out of the way when not needed. Also to hold the fence down in position I use a quick grip clamp.
Some home made hold-down clamps run into the two T-tracks which are nothing more than simple curtain aluminum tracks. The drill press table has two ¼ (6mm) plate inserts sitting on top of each other, one has the standard drill press hole opening and the second plate has a larger hole to fit my drill press spindle sanders.
One more gadget that fount’s its way to my drill press table was one of those inexpensive drill press vise. Mounted on a sheet of plywood as a base with couple of bolts and nuts and with two homemade knobs to hold it down to the t-tracks it became a useful helper when working with small pieces of wood or odd shapes.
The old depth-stop system with the 2 nuts was so unfriendly to use, so I came up with an easier way to work around this problem. A small piece of hardwood and a threaded iron base with a small knob made the depth-stop very easy to adjust and use. I also replaced the broken plastic depth ring with the one made out of 3/8 clear acrylic.
I also used two magnets that I had laying around. One holds the drill press chuck always in the right place so I don’t loose it every time, and the other one on the top holds my plastic bit cleaning brush and gives my drill press a funny Mohawk look.
-- Stelios L.A. Stavrinides: - I am not so rich to buy cheap tools, but... necessity is the mother of inventions - http://www.steliart.com --