|Project by tyskkvinna||posted 1036 days ago||1787 views||1 time favorited||9 comments|
If you follow my blog here, you know that I recently came into keeping of a LOT of old wood. Lot! So I’ve been making things with it. Everything that gets sold from it helps fund the science centre we are putting into the building where the wood came from, so it’s a happy win-win-win all around. :)
the wood was beaten up pretty bad. You will notice that the boxes all have little walnut plugs in them, that’s because I drilled out the holes that previously held screws. The pine that I used for the sides and bottom were all painted this very dark, glossy green. I opted to just pretend it wasn’t there and work with it as-is. The end result is a lot of green peeking in from different spots… I like it! Very rustic.
I finished them all with different stain colours and then sealed them with glossy poly. Insides are sealed with matte poly.
They end up having a very nice charm and have gotten positive response from the non-wood crowd..
This was my first attempt at using a router table to make anything, too, btw.
I was really excited about the technique but ultimately was not impressed with it. I found it too difficult to get precise fittings on everything without spending a LOT of time fussing over it. So for the next round of boxes I am going to probably opt for some kind of hinge. I will also put more investigation into what kind of joint to use. These really could have used some kind of key, but I couldn’t justify putting more time into them for the price I will be selling them at. Thinking of making a quick and easy dovetail jig.
I added accents of copper and steel tacks which help made the whole “look” deliberate. I like it. :)
Nothing too special- but I wanted to share! :)