|Project by matt garcia||posted 02-04-2011 02:55 PM||3058 views||8 times favorited||25 comments|
Well this Winter storm has really kept me from installing the back boards, but other than that, this project is finished. I had originally had it planned to finish the back boards, until I got all that curly maple blogged earlier. I can’t get my table saw out because of all the long boards, and my new lumber rack is all filled up!! My new rack is snow bound in Kentucky!! Oh well.
This chest is constructed in the same manner as the walnut one, with one exception. I hate nails. So instead of nailing the upper moulding to the case, I chose to drill a pocket screw hole through the pins of the dovetails on the top, in order to attach the upper moulding to the sides of the case. The front upper moulding is just glued since it is long grain to long grain.
The finish is something new for me, and I’m very proud of my official first stained project with a dye. The color is Transtint Medium Brown. Then after drying a day I applied boiled linseed oil to the piece and let it stand wet on there for 10 minutes, then wiped dry and allowed to dry for 24 hours. Then 6oz’s of garnet shellac was sprayed on in 3 different applications, which really made this piece’s color come alive, in my opinion. Then hand wet sanded with 400 grit and mineral spirits to level the shellac, and then sanded with 1200 grit and mineral spirits, then finally rubbed out with a grey super fine scotch brite pad with mineral spirits and 2 coats of wax. The hardware is once again, Horton Brasses. It is the same size as the walnut version.
I had a few repairs already to this chest. I had the drawers off the floor on my jointer while I was working on the finish of the case, and 2 of the drawers fell off, and both suffered cracks. One drawer I was able to glue back perfectly, the other has the appearance of repair. There was also an issue with my dovetail jig while dovetailing the half blinds on the upper drawer. I managed to cut out the bad rout, and glue in a block, sand it flush, and re- milled the half blinds (I’m very proud of the repair!!). More pictures to come. Enjoy!!
-- Matt Garcia Wannabe Period Furniture Maker, Houston TX