|Project by brownmd||posted 843 days ago||1495 views||5 times favorited||5 comments|
So here is the bed I finally finished after a bit over a year. I built it in the corner of my bedroom, using almost exclusively hand tools (though I did end up using a circular saw to cut the plywood). It was a lot of fun, made a huge mess of the apartment, cost more and took a lot longer than expected. But in the end, I’m pretty happy with the results.
It’s pretty sturdy, with 4 inch posts, two inch thick rails with 3/4” plywood panels. No box spring, just wooden slats for support. It’s all mortise and tenons cut by hand, and the grooves for the panels cut with a wooden plough plane. It’s built from clear hemlock, with birch plywood for the panels. Finishing involved smoothing it up with my newly acquired Stanley #4, followed by a couple coats of Charles Neil’s new (well, when I got it it was pretty new) blotch control prestain conditioner. Stained with General Finishes Cinnamon stain (water based). Finally covered with a few coats of GF satin poly.
My wife is very happy with it, but possibly even happier to have her bedroom back. Now for some nightstands…. ;-)
I’ve got a few in progress pictures somewhere, I’ll try and find them and post them.