|Project by Muzhik||posted 02-01-2011 08:48 PM||2092 views||7 times favorited||15 comments|
Finally got around to making some nightstands to match my bed (posted here over 2 years ago…). I might be able to get some lamps made to put on ‘em before I deploy this spring! LOL
Like the bed, they’re curly maple and walnut with curly koa veneered panels. I incorporated purpleheart (from the bed post feet and caps) in the form of pegs for the corner joints in the table tops. I also used copper panels for the table tops.
Originally, I ordered to copper for the tops from veneersupplies.com while we were stationed in Germany. I have done my own patina work in the past, but couldn’t figure out how/where to get chemicals for it in Germany. I was relatively happy with what I got from Joe (joe woodworker / veneer supplies) but not completely satisfied as the “grain” of the patina ran the opposite direction of what I expected/preferred.
Unfortunately / fortunately, when I adhered the copper to the substrate for my tops, I botched the patina somewhat. Blue painter’s tape pulled some of it off. Since I’m back in the ‘states now, that meant I could re-apply my own patina – so I sanded away what was there and “distressed” the panels. I reapplied my own patina, and wound up with what you see in the project photos above. While I was at it, I made the dresser top and frame (won’t get around to the rest of the dresser until I come back from the sandbox).
The only other unique parts of these nightstands are the joints I used in the tabletop corners. I found out the hard way that if you put furniture on the ocean for 30 days, weak miters can get a little out of shape. So I came up with a hybrid joint for the table top miters. Call it a mitered and pegged finger joint…
I welcome comments and especially constructive criticism. (i.e. the corner joints are overbuilt and the pegs arguably serve no structural purpose)