|Project by SchotterWoodworking||posted 01-31-2011 06:11 AM||1575 views||1 time favorited||3 comments|
This is my first attempt a LJ challenge Project, so I decided to go for glory. I decided to make a half blind dovetailed box with 1/2” bloodwood and 1/2” Staron “Aquamarine” acrylic solid surface material. I nabbed the solid surface (a now discontinued color) from the dumpster at work. The bottom of the box is hand planed edge joined 1/4 poplar that sits in a 1/8” dado in the panels of the box. I used a liquid polyurethane glue to hold the bloodwood to the Staron which as you can see foamed out of every glue joint like a shaken up soda. Seems to hold really well though! The lid was a real challenge. 3/4” by 1 1/2” bloodwood rails and stiles joined with hand cut mortise and tenon joints with a 1/2” rabbet on the underside to receive the solid surface panels. I built the top as a frame first and ran a rabbeting bit around the interior of the frame for the panels. BAD IDEA WITH NARROW RAILS AND SMALL TENONS!!! Snapped a joint loose and I had to re-glue and re-clamp and rack the frame back into square with harsh language and some unique clamping techniques. I sanded the whole mess up to P320 and finished with Renaissance Wax and a 10” car buffer to make it glow like a European sports car.
The moral of the story: I wanted to go all the way and bring two unique materials together with some powerful joinery to show off the union of these two materials. Rabbets, dadoes, half-blind dovetails, mortise and tenons and old fashioned flat butt joints all find their respective places in this project. I made it with the intention of giving it to my wife who has been in need of a new jewelry box. I’ll let her decide what kind of fabric to line the interior with (fabrics are not exactly my forte).
LONG LIVE THE LUMBERJOCKS!