|Project by Andy||posted 01-29-2011 07:03 PM||4637 views||21 times favorited||42 comments|
I sold this to Trisha, a good friend.
The Zircote panel reminded me of our coastline, hence the name.
The body is wenge and the accents are maple and bloodwood.
The hande is Zircote.
The finish is Deft spray lacquer, semi-gloss.
The liner is red leatherette fabric.
I tried out several ideas that have been on my mind for awhile:
The first is the inset corner splines, that appear (from a short distance ) as red and white squares that were place in mortises. I wanted to give the impression that they werent inserted into typical kerfs, but placed in holes. I did this by making fatter kerfs and laminating splines out of maple and bloodwood then capping the outside edges with wenge. Of course, the wenge doesnt exactly match the body so the blend isnt perfect, but I like the effect and will play with it some more.
The second thing I wanted to try is shown in the second to last picture. Here I took a piece of maple and ripped it in a wandering fashion down the middle, then placed two thin strips of wenge in between these two snakey pieces with masking tape between them and glued it all together. When I took it apart I had a curvey piece of maple with wenge on the face of each. I made the tray out of these pieces, and glued a thin slice of wenge veneer to the bottom. I didnt line it with fabric because the grain on the bottom is so pleasing.
The third thing I wanted to do is shown in the last picture. This is the frame of the divider. I again took a piece of maple and curve ripped it and glued in a single strip of wenge. I then re-ripped it down to about 5/16’’ and then glued thin strips of wenge on each face. I used this for the frame and joined the center dividers using a dado joint.
In the second picture you will notice the snakey maple string inlays.
I goofed up big time and bored the holes for the hinge pins on the front corners of the box instead of the back! So I thought long and hard about what to do about these extra holes. I could have puttied the holes,
or I could have plugged them with matching grained wenge inserts, but they still would have shown up.
So, I took the box to the table saw and cut a kerf that crossed over both holes that I had drilled on each side.
I then ripped an oversized piece of wenge on the bandsaw in a serpentine fashion and glued thin strips of maple in between, then milled that to the proper width and length and inserted them into the kerfs. After they were dry I sanded them flush with the sides, and got down to the shaping.
The frame and tray took about 12 hours, and the box itself took about 25 hours.
-- If I can do it, so can you. www.artboxesbyandy.com