|Project by Dave||posted 1055 days ago||7357 views||6 times favorited||10 comments|
I was taking my weekly stroll through the local Klingspors woodworking shop and I came upon a SALE on the Benchdog products. If I remember right they were going to stop carrying the line. And you know how it goes…its a Sale, nothing beats a Sale (says the Evil Priceline twin). So I left with the ProMax cast iron router table that included an extruded aluminum fence. This particular type is made to replace your existing table saw extension wing.
I went into this knowing that the Sawstop Industrial Saw has a 30” deep table and the ProMax was made for a standard 27” table. I searched the web for someone else who has done this – no luck. I called Sawstop – no luck. No worries I say… I’m an ENGINEER, I can do ANYTHING!!!
The instructions want you to mount the router table to the right/left side of your saw table in a cantilever arrangement. I was not incredibly happy with that as I felt the odds of stacking heavy items there(wood) was likely and I did not want to break the table at the connection flange. And I was going to essentially have two extension wings to the right of my saw.
After being a bit of a dork and checking the shear strength for the included M8 bolts, I realized that a singe M8 bolt alone could hold the table in both shear and tension. I was being overly cautious – worrying about the impact to the fence rails and potential for cracking the table flanges if I were to overload the table (sit on it). After realizing I was a bit of a dork, I carried on knowing that the fence rails, cast iron tables and bolts were plenty strong!
My plan was to fit the new table into my existing stock laminated Sawstop extension table. To do this I would create a cradle for the new router table to sit in and connect the table top and mount the whole system to the saw.
This began with disassembling the stock Sawstop extension table and removing the stiffening rails underneath. From there it was layout work. I laid the cast iron table on the laminate and marked the profile and then measured the remaining space.
I had some maple laying around and figured that a half lap cradle would do and the maple would remain stable and is plenty strong.
From this point I cut the maple and verified the fit around the ProMax table and into the Sawstop rails. Then I glued the half lap joint.
Now that I know the cradle fits I needed to layout all of my bolts. This was all done by hand with a pencil and brad point bit. It is important to make the holes as straight as possible. I made all of the holes through holes but I did not leave alot of play. The connection from the ProMax to the cradle is 6 – 1/4-20 screws/washers/nuts in counter bored holes so as to not interfere with the cradle’s slip fit between the rails. I also needed to make a slot to accept the connection bolts to the fence rails. Specifically, I needed to be able to get a wrench in to tighten the nuts.
Now that the cradle fits…it was time to cut out the opening in the table surface. I had previously marked the location of the table. I pre-cut close to the lines with a jig saw and used a straight piece of scrap as a guide for the router. The round corners were done freehand and a little filing/sanding.
Now it is time to add the top – just countersunk screws.
Now that everything was put together I mounted the entire system to the right extension table with 3 M8 bolts/nuts and to the rails with 4 M5-screws/nuts.
All that is left is to assemble the fence and install the router and router plate.
I hope that gives everyone some insight into this retrofit.
Let me know if I can help.
-- - Dave, Winston-Salem, NC