|Project by JR||posted 2176 days ago||1208 views||1 time favorited||9 comments|
I made 14 of these this year! Got all the wood from one of nearby lumber yards cut-off pile back last fall. I’d stop by there once a week and there was always a mountain of it to choose from. The only way to do this efficently was to do one step (for hundreds of pieces) at a time. (Maple, Oak, Cherry, Walnut, and Koa)
To add an exotic flair to them, I used one piece of Koa (only found in Hawaii, and very valuable). I tried to capture the glimmer and sheen of it in my photographs. It’s spectacular!
I cut everything to 16” (hundreds of pieces), squared them all up, glued them up one at a time (found a great clamp that’s perfect for cutting boards), ran them through the planer, 1/8” round over bit, and sanded.
The finish I used as not mineral oil, but it was food safe: “Tried and True” Danish Finish Oil. I works a more of a sealant from moisture than mineral oil, and brings more depth and color to the figure in the wood.
-- -- JR