|Project by Tyler Moseley||posted 01-23-2011 03:29 AM||6084 views||21 times favorited||12 comments|
Well, I saw a few people asking about this on various websites while I was looking for a way to do it so I figured I would put this up on here. Here’s the thing: I was in the middle of building a Toy Box for the kids when I needed some contour sanding. I don’t own an oscillating spindle sander and it’s not $150-$400 priority right now so I figured I would try to find an alternative. I have read a lot about people using drill presses as an alternative with mostly success and found a kit from Harbor freight for $8 with three different sander sizes that looked like they would get the job done. This may not be the most cost effective way to do this for most people, but since I happened to have an old rotozip lying around that wasn’t getting much use and I bought a variable speed router switch from HF a couple years ago that didn’t work on my router and I never took it back, it was perfect for me.
There are two great cabinet shops around here (and by great I mean they throw a lot of good stuff away!) that I scavenged some 3/4” birch ply and MDF from. The base is just 3 pieces about 15”X15” (Front Back and Center) Dadoed into two side pieces about the same size. Bottom is slightly larger piece of 1/2” birch ply. Top is 3/4” MDF. I took the standard 2 piece grout cutting attachment that attaches with 1 bolt and a rectangular nut to the quick release collar and cut the collar off right below the attachment so only the connector piece was left. Then I got a longer bolt and permanently screwed it to a piece of 1/2” ply about 1 1/2”X9” and drilled two 1/4” holes in the outer sides of the ply. I routed some matching grooves in the center piece and used some knobs from woodcraft to make it adjust about 6” or so. These were all completely imprecise measurements just thrown together and adjusted to work.
The Lid/Surface is 3/4” MDF. i used the roto zip inside the cabinet with a drill bit in it to drill a centered hole for the zero clearance cutout. then cut a 4 1/2” round hole using a hole saw with drill bit to center properly. Then I used a raised panel router but minus the ogee to cut the groove 1/4 deep and recessed about 1/2” back from the original circle. Then again, I don’t know how practical this would be for most people but I happened to have some 1/4” PE LD sign plastic from a project I did a while back that I used with a simple circle jig and just made it smaller and smaller a little bit at a time until it fit. Then I made 5 or 6 more for future use. The lid is held on with two hinges I had to shim with some HDPE I had laying around to make them work right. (I would have just gotten better hinges but I bought them while it was late and i din’t feel like going back out.) Anyway, the lid has a single screw on the opposite side of the hinges to hold it level, but still be easily accessible. I rounded off all but two edges (accident but I don’t really care) and sanded. I will probably put a nice coat of furniture wax on it and call it done, but I might round over those last two now that I’m thinking about it.
All in all took about 2 hours to build and worked swimmingly for what I needed it for. I will definitely invest in an oscillating sander later to eliminate the sanding lines but for now it works very well for shaping and the lines are pretty easy to take off by hand. The motor speed is good and the bracket holds surprisingly sturdy so after adjusting it true it works great!
-- Measure Twice, cut two, three times, plane, join, sand, coat, sand, coat, sand, coat, buff, wax, polish, brag. It's a process.