|Project by Keelan||posted 01-21-2011 11:32 PM||1368 views||0 times favorited||3 comments|
I know this isn’t a fine wood working project but I am very proud with how well it turned out.
While renovating my house that my girlfriend and I bought this year we starting making room for a new set of stairs. In doing this we had to remove 2 closets from the line of where the stairs would lay. All the hardwood flooring that was removed(very carefully to avoid any damage) from where the stairs were cut out, was saved and put aside for this project. Gotta reuse what you can to save a buck, plus its perfectly matched with the rest of the wood.
Just relaying the hardwood floor as it was would not have looked good at all and would have shown that there was obviously a repair(a very bad repair) done. And being a stickler for detail i took on the challenge of staggering all of the hardwood flooring to blend in the new(old) wood. For most of this I did it by hand with a chisel and hammer(with a little help from my osculating tool to make a nice straight line where the new and old would butt together).
To re-lay the hardwood I pre-drilled all my holes in the tongue as to not split the wood and inset them with finishing nails and a nail set.
In all this project took me 3 days just doing the floor, the demo of the other section and cutting the floor is a whole other story. That project is still underway.
I have the stairs built now but I am still waiting to put down the hardwood on top of the structural part until I finish more of the basement. More to come.