|Project by Rob Vicelli||posted 01-20-2011 09:59 PM||1843 views||1 time favorited||9 comments|
This is the first cabinet for our kitchen remodel. The color is a chocolate which took many samples to achieve. It has some red under tones from the finishing process which I will touch on later.
This face frame cabinet was constructed of birch because of the grain, cost and hardness. I could have chosen poplar but I believe it may have been too soft. The carcass is birch plywood and assembled with tongue and groove and pocket hole system. The drawers are maple with ½ thick ply bottoms. We put a couple of different pull outs to see which ones we like better for the rest of the cabinets. Right now I think she likes the one with an extra drawer in it. All are riding on Blum Blumotion slides except the small inner drawer.
The finish which I DID NOT choose (I would have enjoyed natural cherry) is a deep chocolate where you can still see the grain texture. The finish schedule was as follows;
Pre-raise grain with water, Spray Water based Espresso Dye from Homestead Finishing, Seal coat, General Java gel Stain, Seal Coat, and 2 coats of General Enduro var. All coats were sprayed with Fuji HVLP system.
One other highlight is the toe kick. Kinda hard to see but no inside corners to catch dust. I read about it on woodweb and gave it a try. So far worked out good.
Changes I made before starting on other cabinets is not to use regular ¼ ply for door panels. With the dark and glossy finish you can see some waves in the ply. I am trying ¼ BB on the next set of doors. I hated to make them from solid wood since they are recessed shaker style.
Thanks for looking.
-- Rob V