|Project by Mark Whitsitt||posted 01-18-2011 07:06 AM||2908 views||6 times favorited||9 comments|
The first two boxes are made out of crown molding. I simply ripped the crown bevels from the edges of the molding to make the working stock. I picked up the molding at our local Habitat for Humanity ReStore the cheap!
—The first box, with the lid, was actually the first box I made with the second version of my bevel sled posted recently. It is red alder molding, with a piece of red alder stock cut to size and rabetted to fit the top of the box. The handle on the lid is just a little piece of padauk, hand chamfered with a block plane and glued to the top.
After ripping the crown bevels off the molding, I simply used the shortest dimension of the GRD to measure the width of the rough stock, the second largest dimension to determine the length of the short sides, and the longest dimension of the GRD (the arms farthest apart) to determine the length of the long sides.
This is the box I had the most trouble with on the bevel sled because the profile of the molding does not lie flat on the sled plattens. When I pushed the sides through the blade, the workpiece moved, despite the clamp. this made the miter joints pretty sloppy. But to salvage the work, I filled the gaps with wood filler and it looks mostly acceptable. I finished with Danish Oil and Paste Wax.
The second box is the first one I made on the original version of my miter sled. Like the first box, it is crown molding and was laid out using the GRD. It is just pine with a natural oil I picked up in a sample tube at the local Woodsmith Store and paste wax. This one’s profile laid flat on the sled and I got really nice miter joints. I’m using it on my bench as a “little crap” box for stuff like drill bits, driver bits, and such.
The third box is a final “Proof Of Concept” box made from QS Red Oak plywood I scavenged from someone’s dumpster… thanks, Steve! I wanted to make a box without a profile on the face to make absolutely sure the bevel sled was set up right and I could get a good square set of miter joints… IT WORKED!!!
Again laid out with the GRD, I had to use some iron-on oak veneer edging to cover the plywood edges. I couldn’t really do that with the top edge of the box and bottom edge of the lid and keep the box closing properly, but if you don’t look too closely, it doesn’t really look that bad after finishing.
The top of the box was cut off after after gluing up, and I also experiment with cutting the lid with a lip by cutting a groove on the inner faces of the sides prior to glue up, and then cutting a groove just below that on the outside after glue up. It was pretty successful, but not a great looking cut because I was dealing with plywood after all.
This box was also finished with danish oil and paste wax, and I added some bargain bin brass hinges and a clasp.
The bottoms of all three boxes, and the top of the plywood box, are all random scraps of 1/4” hardwood veneer MDF scavenged from various places.
I have a little more crown molding to work with and plan to make some gift boxes with it. I thought it was a pretty cool project. Hope you enjoy them!
-- -- "there are many good reasons to use old hand tools, but moral superiority is NOT one of them..."