|Project by McLeanVA||posted 01-17-2011 08:06 PM||2251 views||11 times favorited||13 comments|
Here are a few more LVDTs (Legless Vegetable Death Tables) that are in the process of soaking in their 50/50 Salad Bowl Finish and Mineral Spirits. I ran across some Sapele on sale and decided to integrate them into some boards to see how they fit in with the other species. Nothing new in terms of patterns, but I wanted to share. Lots of new (and old) LJs that are trying their hands at cutting boards and I’m always willing to share ideas. As always, I hope they inspire.
Photo 1: All five boards soaking in finish. Still plenty of coats, sanding and buffing to go. I was trigger happy and wanted to snap some photos while I thought of it.
Photo 2: Bloodwood, Sapele, Cherry and Padouk. 2-3-4-3 pattern.
Photo 3: The “Clown Board” consists of Padouk, Mahogany, Maple, Bloodwood, Cherry and Sapele. Just clowning around on this one and experimenting with random patterns.
Photo 4: Cherry, Sapele and Walnut, with a little strip of Bloodwood to add some visual interest. Before the finish, the bloodwood really stood out, but after the Sapele darkens with the finish it gets lost a bit. Took some good notes on this one for a future board.
Photo 5: Maple, Walnut, Sapele. 2-3-4-3 pattern. Overall, grain patterns were a bit crazy on this one.
Photo 6: Cherry, Walnut, Sapele. 2-3-4-3 pattern. The grain on the Sapele creates a really neat basket-weave look when held in good light.
Overall, I really liked working with Sapele. What I learned is that it darkens up a good bit when finished. Need to make sure to surround it with lighter woods next time for some more contrast. Also, I have no clue how I used to make these LVDTs without a drum sander. They are so much more precise now and I get to keep a lot more wood than I used to. They are also dead-level on a flat surface.
Take care and have a wonderful and safe 2011 in your shops.
-- Measure, cut, curse, repeat.