|Project by cmckerliesr||posted 01-17-2011 01:16 AM||1440 views||1 time favorited||5 comments|
I am not sure just how many of you may have done or are doing one of these purse hook kits. I got mine from Penn State Industries and Mini Project Blanks from www.woodturnerscatalog.com (aka: Craft Supplies USA).
In any case I showed the the kit to my wife who promptly told me, “I want one. But only if you can put my first initial in it”. I almost said, fine then I guess you are not getting one. But I wanted to sleep in the house tonight, so I thought about it and remember a project that I saw Steve Good do in which he used polymer clay as an inlay material. I had bought some but had not used it yet.
It turns out that this project was full of firsts…it will probably be better to just list those things in no real order.
1. Printed pattern on Adhesive Shelf paper
2. Filled letter with polymer clay
3. Purse kit
4. Mini project blanks
OK, let’s get to it….I used Serif’s Draw Plus to open a PDF file of a pattern from Steve Good. Draw Plus allowed me to open the file and pull anything I want from it and pretty much do what I please (if you want to know more about Draw Plus let me know. It is cheap, but I am not going to take up time going into the details of the program). So I opened the file, found a circle with a “T” in the center. I copied and pasted it into a new file, and resized the circle to 1.250 inches, which also resized the T proportionally. Of course the finished diameter of the insert for the purse hanger is 1.250 inches and it why I resized the circle to that in Draw Plus.
Before I show you the pattern on the blank. I should tell you that I also remembered a tip (I wish I could give the proper credit here but I do not remember where I read or heard this tip) that you could use white adhesive shelving paper to print patterns on and that they remove easily not leaving any glue behind. A few things you should know about using shelving paper. One, the ink smears easily right off the printer. So, let it set for a couple minutes if you plan on using shelving paper. OH, I should mention too, that while it is cheap. You will have to cut the paper into 8.5 X 11 sheets so that they go through the printer just as any sheet of paper. So, I filled the sheet with scaled letters inside circles. I cut one of the T’s from the sheet.
I then removed the backing and placed it on the blank as you can see in the picture above.
Next I used my scroll saw to cut out the T blank.
Sorry for the blue tint, it was the light and I did not realize what had happened till it was too late.
Next I trimmed the blank close to final diameter and pushed polymer clay into the T. A note, be sure that you have a couple of toothpicks to help get the clay into the letter. I wanted to be sure there would be no voids that would show up when I turned the blank to the final size. I do not know if I needed to or not, but I used two toothpicks. One was sanded flat on one side to make it thinner. The other was left alone.
The pictures show the letter filled and you can see the shelving paper still on the blank. After filling the letter, I removed the shelving paper from the blank and baked as per instructions for 15 minutes at 275 degrees.
Then I sanded both sides of the blank to smooth out the clay as it expands when heated raises above the surface of the wood. Before sanding this is what it looked like.
I centered the blank on the mandrel and turned it which after finishing looked like this.
Then I removed from the mandrel and glued it to the purse hanger. Here is the finished project.
One additional note about the shelving paper. While it does come apart easily from the backing, it is possible to stretch the shelving paper and distort the pattern. This is not really a problem, but it can happen so I thought I should mention it.
I should apologize for the bad pictures. When I do certain things, and they are going well I just plain get too damn excited about it. Also since I am not willing to let my expensive digital camera sit in the shop and get dusty. I used an OLD Kodak digital camera. Which is showing its age as you can tell since not everything was in focus. But hopefully I will remember to retake some pictures with a better camera when I make another one of these. But at least I remembered to even document this project. I have several that I wish I had taken pictures of and posted on here. Such as walking sticks, carvings, and some other projects.
I thought I should add the blank size used, just in case someone has some scraps they want to use…The blank was 1-1/2” x 1-1/2” x 1/4”.
-- The Man in the Can, Craig M. North Carolina