|Project by airfieldman||posted 01-01-2008 08:18 PM||1913 views||1 time favorited||2 comments|
I posted my router table HERE, and had left out some of the finer details.
The top is attached via a piano hinge. That was what drew me to this plan. Also, it came from a single sheet of 1/2” birch plywood. The plans have a base, which I will add soon, but really needed this table so I started with just it.
The two modifications I made to the plans were: 1) added a block with a whole on the base of the top to secure the support arm when open. I felt that when the top is up, if I pushed on it the arm could drop and then I’d be in trouble. 2) I added a small lip to the back two corner blocks. One will be used to hold the pin used to secure the arm in the up position. The other was simply because I did the first.
These can be seen in the photo.
I enjoyed this project, and learned a lot. I wasn’t as crisp on the joints as I would have liked, and had to do a lot of sanding to get my drawer to fit. In the future, I woun’t try to cut to the finished size, but reduce down to fit.
I also learned that no mater how good the plans, they aren’t perfect. For instance, I cut the slots for the fence dead on accurate. However, when I went to attach, they didn’t line up, so I had to enlarge one side. In the end it didn’t make any difference, the fence works wonderfully.
-- Measure with a micrometer, mark with a crayon, cut it with a chainsaw.