|Project by agianni||posted 01-12-2011 03:42 PM||1405 views||0 times favorited||5 comments|
My wife’s sister had her first child last Spring and as they were looking for nursery furniture, they couldn’t find what they were looking for, at least not in their price range. I offered to make them the armoire they wanted. This was my first piece of “real furniture” I built and it was by far the most ambitious woodworking project I’ve taken on. The only thing that wasn’t complete in the pictures is that I had to re-do the back because it didn’t fit quite right. But the baby was due and I didn’t want to wait on delivery.
There are certainly things I’m not happy about, but given my relative inexperience I’m pretty happy with it, and my sister-in-law loves it (and just made a request for another, less ambitious piece), which is the most important thing.
The case is made from birch ply and the face frames, door frames and trim are maple.
I built new cabinets for out kitchen before, which was a good introduction to how I would end up constructing this, but I had never had to deal with finishing something on this level before. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to get it to look good and match the finish of the rest of the nursery furniture. This wood whisperer video ended up being the most valuable single resource for me:
I followed his technique pretty much exactly:
1. Raise grain on wood and sand after dry
2. Wet surface and wipe on water-based die stain until the desired darkness is achieved.
3. Apply gel stain over die
I used General Finishes Medium Brown water-based die for the first step and mixed General Finishes Candlewood and Georgian Cherry (about 6:1) to get the slightly red tone I was looking for in the piece. I used a spit coat of thinned de-waxed shelac followed by two or three coats (I don’t remember now) of GF Arm-R-Seal (satin).