|Project by loverlips||posted 01-11-2011 06:00 PM||3280 views||0 times favorited||14 comments|
scrap wood project, cannot wait to stain it. lid was joined using kreg jig. started with ruff cut lumber.
made a mistake on the lid, made it right length wrong width had to glue on 5/8 to both sides to make it wider. was running desperately low on oak. took three days long days to build. I think I used every tool I own at least once.
I will post more pics the good the bad and the plain ugly of this project in the next couple days.. this project started out teaching someone how to use tools and basic cabinet skills then he wanted to know what the guide thingy was for on the router lol…. before ya know it I am screwing my router to a piece of plywood and making trim…... my biscuit joiner was loaned out at the time good thing this could of got a lot more involved.
I am an interior trim carpenter and used to setting up on the fly I have been out of work for awile and had to break everything out just to make sure everything still worked.
this site is so awesome I cannot stop looking at others projects. been on here for 2 hours and i need to get dressed and get on with my day and i cannot get away from this computer lol.
stain is dark walnut minwax.. it says not to thin but i did anyway one quart of mineral spirits to one pint wish i would of stained everything but the poplar trim but all in all came out better than expected. as you can see my lid wanted to warp so i stained it and torked it while it was still wet will leave it like that a couple days then i can put poly on it. the oak was still kinda fresh and now i wish i would of let it dry a couple more weeks but some of the shrinkage is adding character to it. I also added some pics of my shop everything is now back in the trailer lol.
the panels where cut to size and lightly glued then micro pined into place then i made a glue and oak dust putty to fill in the cracks and sanded while still slightly wet, that helps it adhere and pulls in the dust that helps blend the color .
most of my work is hidden from one side custom hurry up and get it done lol…. so i have learned a lot of cheater methods of making the homeowner side look good… and still be stable.
I am leaving the inside of the box and lid pocket holes exposed mom thinks it looks cool. If anyone reading this has a good idea of making pocket hole plugs instead of buying them i would love to hear it.