|Project by Jeremy Greiner||posted 01-09-2011 04:51 AM||1613 views||0 times favorited||1 comment|
Finished the base of my new mobile shop table I’m working on. I decided on giving the woodriver mobile base kit a try since I already had it in the shop (was going to use for another project that I decided on not doing)
Over the past few days I’ve learned a very hard lesson. Making simple changes are rarely simple, and cause problems down the road. In this case I made 2 on the fly changes from my original sketchup model.
First change was lowering the height of the base, to lower the overall table. I’m not sure why I didn’t think of it during the design in sketchup, but I thought just lowering the base would be no big deal. So I did, and now the extension wings that are supposed to fold down, are too long and will have to be trimmed.
Second change was adding a sub shelf just above the mobile base, I thought it would be a great idea. Until I went to attach the corners of the base I discovered that I can’t screw them in because that shelf that would be such a great idea is totally in the way of screwing in the base. I drilled some holes to allow me to screw in the base and I’ll likely pick up some small rubber stoppers to fill the holes if they bug me.
I got to use the HVLP gun I got for christmas, my air compressor did a great job keeping up. I do need more practice using it, but I don’t think I’ll spray oil based paint again. The cleanup was very frustrating took 3 times longer to clean up than to actually spray the base. It’s just what I had in the garage and figured I’d give it a try. I also learned that spraying outside in florida, at least in my neighborhood was not a good idea. The sides where just littered with sand dust it was crazy.
-- Easy to use end grain cutting board designer: http://www.1024studios.com/cuttingboard.html