|Project by thiel||posted 01-01-2011 at 03:47 PM||2020 views||5 times favorited||4 comments|
Just a quickie project to clean up my drill press and mortiser area. Preivously, these two items were on two different carts, each sized incorrectly for the piece.
I had some 45 degree cutoffs from a different project (as well as a short section of birch ply), and I used them to support this wall mounted countertop. I find that if I keep plywood laying about, it gets warped pretty quick and ends up useless—better to use it up.
Pocket screw joinery. The gap underneath is sized perfectly to hold two trash bins—one for trash, one for cutoffs… or a shopvac as shown here.
Mounted to the wall with two french cleats. Learned something here: since both cleats need to support the counter, I SHOULD have joined them together before mounting them to the wall. I didn’t… instead mounting each strip separately. With the masonry wall, there was enough wiggle room when drilling that the bottom cleat ended up about 1/16 too high…making the top cleat a loose fit. Rather than redrilling, I shimmed the top cleat with some of that foam double sided tape 3M sells; it fit the gap nicely and adds a bit of adhesion as well.
The storage above is also mounted on French cleats.
-- Laziness minus Apathy equals Efficiency