|Project by OutPutter||posted 01-01-2011 05:50 AM||3463 views||0 times favorited||18 comments|
Whew, am I glad that’s over with. The board is about 12” x 14 1/2” x 1 1/2” and has over 900 pieces. I got the wood from a cabinet shop as three foot long cut offs that were headed to the dumpster. The wood appears to be some kind of South American cherry type hardwood. I had to cut them down to a uniform width and they ended up at about 1/2” x 11/32”. I glued all the boards together with the help of my wife. Then I ran them through the planer for consistent width again. Then they sat on the workbench for about six months (curing time (that’s my story and I’m sticking to it)). I finally decided some time around September that I would finish it for my wife’s Christmas gift. So, I enlisted gluing help from my daughter. She loved the spreading and the squeezing so we had to rotate duties. After that came the sanding. Addie (daughter) loves to sand too. She sanded for three days and we just barely got the salad bowl finish on in time for Christmas day. The wife loved it and used it to cut some food the other day before I got pictures. That was fine by her since she shares my daughter’s love of sanding. She spent two days sanding that board to 100 grit. More salad bowl finish and then these pictures. Whew!