|Project by Mike Robinson||posted 12-27-2007 09:36 PM||7280 views||10 times favorited||40 comments|
My wife has been wanting a new kitchen since we bought the house a year and a half ago. My wife is tall at 6 feet even, her two daughters are also tall, and when the 4 of us gathered in the 12×10 kitchen it was elbow to elbow. We priced cabinets from the major box stores, plus online, and for the amount of cabinets we needed we were looking at over 15 thousand just for cabinets. Having perhaps less common sense than I should have, I decided to investigate the possibility of making my own. I bought references, books, and did my homework, and decided that I just might be able to pull it off. With the help of Cabinet Cruncher software, my wife’s willingness to let me invest in a few tools I needed, the results you see here. I used cherry for the face frames, doors and drawer fronts, maple for the drawers, and Baltic Birch for the cabinet boxes. At first I was going to use a red dye to even out the tone of the cherry, but when I applied my first coat of dewaxxed shellac as a sealer, the look of the natural cherry made me change my mind. I used Mohawk finishes, which I’ve found are about as idiot prrof as it can get. 2 coats of dewaxxed shellac for a sealer, followed by one coat of vinyl sealer, followed by 4 coats of pre-catalyzed clear lacquer. The wall between the kitchen and dining area was removed, I added the drop ceiling, re-routed wiring and added outlets. All old drywall was removed and the kitchen was reinsulated, new drywall installed and renovations began. I added the spotlightsin the soffit, as well as undercabinet lighting, all on dimmers. The countertops are black granite, new appliances and a new sink and my wife thinks I’m a hero. Best of all I was able to complete the entire project for about a little less than half of what we were quoted just for the cabinets. It also greatly increased my confidence in what I can build, as I’ve never done a project of this scope and magnitude before. The last picture is a “before” shot, and the other two show the changeover. When I snapped these I had a few items of trim to install yet, as well as finish the slide outs for the upper half of the Pantry, but it is all complete now and my wife really enjoys her time in the kitchen, an added plus.
Thanks for looking, and any comments or questions are welcome.