|Project by CANDL||posted 12-29-2010 09:36 PM||1298 views||0 times favorited||8 comments|
Well before the shop is even ready, the sister-in-law asks me to “help” her build a dressing table for her daughter, so this was a no pressure build…. geesh.
As you can see it turned out ok. But if you will bear with me I will say what I think went well, and more importantly what did not. If you have comments to add, please do as I am always learning.
We started from 4 quarter oak, and I knew that making a fancy leg …. or better yet four of them was out of the question. So the what turned out to be my best decision of the build I decided to buy four queen anne legs out of ash from Lowe’s for ~18$ each. The other good design choice was keep it simple …. no drawer.
Not sure if you can see it or not but the top of the table is 4 boards. Tried to clean the glue edges up with the table saw, but just did not like the looks of it. So ended up added a 6” jointer to the shop to …. it was her niece right? Anyways the Jet deluxe did a really nice job. Now a case of a new toy … gotta use it …. I used my Kreg Jig to join the table top …. not a good move. I got just the slightest amount of break out from the screw … I know just the glue was strong enough… so after the glued dried out came the screws.
Attaching the legs to the apron was a bit of a challenge, the legs are flat on only two sides. I ended up making a jig to hold the apron and legs, and returned with the Kreg Jig. This time I was much happier with the results. Now if I had the time to do this “right” with more time I would have mortise and tenoned the joint. So she can bring it back in after 10 yrs and I will give it a tune up.
Finishing the table exposed an old shop class tip, as one to be careful with. I had some small holes that needed filling so I scavenged up some sawdust added my trusty glue and filled the holes. Not so good…the glue was not stainable … next time I will check first.
Well hopefully you were not to bored with my comments…