|Project by ic3ss||posted 12-28-2010 08:30 AM||4772 views||1 time favorited||7 comments|
I picked up this solid oak desk for my daughter last August for $25 at a garage sale. It had a few paint stains on the top, so I decided I wanted to try inlay. After reading everything I could on it, I knew what I wanted to do. I found a video from the wood whisperer that does this leaf inlay and It was the perfect solution. I drew out my picture on tracing paper on the desk in a design that covered up all of the spots. I picked up some chisels and wood strips from Rockler and set to work. I used zebrawood for the leafs and wenge for the twig. A great idea from the video was to burn the leaf halves to shade it.
I just finished it tonight, and after scraping smooth, I put on a couple of coats of wipe on poly. And to my surprise the wipe on poly just wiped off of the existing oak finish leaving nothing behind so it ended up looking really good. The only snag is of course there are several gaps in the inlay. A couple are at the tips of the leafs where the burnt zebrawood broke off, so I filled them in with the wood scrapings and glue. This is the first time I’ve used wood working chisels. I was at Rockler looking at them, they had two brands. One made in China and the other made in Germany. In keeping with my reluctance to buy Chinese, I picked up a couple of Kirschen (Two Cherries) chisels. While buying only USA made tools is pretty much impossible unless you have a lot of money, refusing Chinese made tools is still an option, and I’d rather buy European before Asian. I like the Two Cherries chisels, and I bought their scraper and burnishing tool also.
I can’t wait for my next inlay project, this one was pretty fun and my daughter is happy to have her desk back.
-- "I am endeavoring, ma'am, to construct a mnemonic memory circuit using stone knives and bear skins."