|Project by Steamdonkey||posted 12-27-2007 12:06 AM||2666 views||9 times favorited||12 comments|
This summer I completed this full length walnut tilting mirror for my wife Tamara. This was supposed to be a birthday gift, but you know how that goes (her birthday is in March). For the frame and base I used some figured walnut and use some scraps of wenge with threaded brass for the “hardware”. I did my best to avoid sandpaper on this project and completed most of the smoothing with my new (at the time) bevel up smoother and card scrapers. There are a lot of curves on this piece and I made MDF templates and pattern routed the pieces to shape. I then rounded the pieces with the router, rasps, spokeshave and block plane. The mirror was a great find the Habitat Restore and I cut it myself to match the cloud lifts. If I could add a nice wide beveled glass mirror it would have been awesome, but that would have ran me $500, this piece of glass only cost me $20 and I did the cutting myself. Despite the fact that I was about 4 months late getting this completed I still rushed myself and left out some details I had intended to add including some ebony pegs. I finished the piece with 6 coats of General Finishes seal a cell and arm r seal. Can’t miss with the stuff.