|Project by JamesVavra||posted 12-27-2010 06:02 PM||9140 views||33 times favorited||13 comments|
I finally got around to building a disc sander fixture for my Lathe (Jet 1442). The disc and table are 3/4” MDF while the rest of the pieces are 1/2” MDF. I mounted two discs on two 6” Harbor Freight faceplates that I have owned but not used for at least a year (the extra thickness is there to allow the plate to clear the motor).
The table top is 12” x 15” (I had a 15” piece of t-track leftover from my drillpress table which helped determine the size) and it’s about 7” high. There is a gap of about 3/16” around the bottom half of the disc for dust collection. Right now, it’s not clamped in place in any way but I plan to extend the guide that slides between the bed rails all the way to the headstock so that, when clamped against the headstock using the banjo, it keeps the table at the correct distance from the plate.
I’m still waiting on 12” sandpaper discs arrive but it tested well with the 6” PSA disc I had laying around.
The only problem I ran into is that the vertical piece of 1/2” MDF in front split a bit on one side, despite my pre-drilling for the screws.