|Project by bvdon||posted 12-23-2010 08:36 AM||7484 views||17 times favorited||26 comments|
I just made these two cutting boards on commission (for the curious, $200 for both) for a friend and his mother.
Material: Walnut, Maple, Cherry, Padauk
Dimensions: 15×12 x 1.75, end grain
Project started Monday night… all cuts and first glue-up done. Tues, second cuts, second glue-up. Today, Wed, I did all the finish work—trimed, rounded edges, cut the juice groove and sanded up to 320 and put two thirsty coats of Salad Bowl Finish (cut with Mineral Spirits).
I screwed up on the juice groove on the first board – the bit decided to take a slight detour. Intended to make a 3/8 groove and had to go to 1/2 inch to fix the mistake. Sadly, left a few burn marks in the process! I really need to work on my router table skills. The second juice groove came out near perfect with the 3/8 bit and determination not to make the same mistake twice.
Because there are 9 rows on each board, you may notice that on one of the boards the last step does not alternate on the maple/cherry alternation… no way around it. Didn’t realize until it was too late.
With that project out of the way, I have to finish a much larger project—a Japanese Timber Bench…. pictures to follow.
Fourth photo is a similar style board I did, but didn’t have cherry on hand… the walnut turned out to have wonderful characteristic—check the book matching.
Fifth photo shows an example of how you do the initial rip cut and glue up. After the glue is dry, run it through the planer so it’s flat on both sides. Next step is cross cut, flip the end grain up and alternating the cross cut pieces, flip them left to right.