|Project by Jonathan||posted 12-22-2010 09:18 PM||3563 views||5 times favorited||10 comments|
This is one of the Christmas gifts I made this year. It is for my wife’s father and stepmother. We took a family cruise as a family reunion/vacation back in March. While on the cruise, I saved all the corks as I wanted to make something from them, but wasn’t sure what that “something” would be at the time.
I ended up using curly maple and also dyeing it a turquoise blue color to mimic the Caribbean water color. I used cork dust to fill in the cracks between the corks, trying to get it to look like beach sand. Finally, I cut a 30-degree angle on the bottom side to be reminiscent of the hull of a ship in the water.
Wood used: 1-piece of curly maple, corks from trip (18-corks, but I cut one in half to fill in the gap)
Wood thickness: 13/16”, top band is 5/16” tall above chamfer, chamfer is 1/2” tall
Frame width around cork: 1-1/4” wide all the way around
Dye: Transfast Turquoise Blue anililine dye, mixed with distilled water, 3-coats applied, sanded between coats with 320-grit.
Width: 7-3/4” x 7-15/16”
Height: 1-1/16” overall, with corks 3/16” above wood
Corks: 18-corks used, with 1-cork cut in-half to fill the gap. Cut about 40% off the bottom of each cork to allow for a flat and solid glue surface. After corks cut on bandsaw, all corks handsanded with 60-grit to level all corks to the same height so pot doesn’t wobble at all when placed on the trivet. Saved cork dust from sanding to use as “beach sand”.
Glue: Titebond III to glue down corks, then dusted with cork dust, let dry, thin layer of thin CA glue in crack then dusted again, let dry, then one more thin CA glue application and cork dusting to mimic beach sand.
Sanding: Sanded to 320-grit after dye, final sanding with 600-grit, then mineral spirit wipedown after final coat of finish applied
Finish: 5+coats Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane, Clear Satin (rattle can)
Self-Adhesive Cork Feet on Bottom add 1/16” to height, inset 1/4”-from outside edges
Tools used: tablesaw, drum sander, ROS, drill press to hog out most of the center, followed by router to clean it up, then chiseled corners square, glue brush to spread one solid layer of glue across bottom to lay corks into and dust with “sand”.
(Sidenote: I found the best and cleanest ways to lay the corks down was start at the outside edges and work towards the center. It also helps to “roll” the cork into the glue ever so slightly. Hard to explain as it’s sort of a feel thing. Wipe any glue off right away if it comes up the sides of the cork.)
-- Jonathan, Denver, CO "Constructive criticism is welcome and valued as it gives me new perspectives and helps me to advance as a woodworker."