|Project by toddbeaulieu||posted 12-22-2010 08:19 PM||5244 views||7 times favorited||28 comments|
While a shed may not be what most have in mind when they think project, I’m still trying to learn basic concepts and figured this would a valuable learning oppurtunity for me. I got to use my joiner for the first real project (doors) and I hand planed and chiseled quite a few edges around the structure. Sadly, I still don’t have my cabinet saw powered, so I did this all on a 8 1/4” makita sitting on the ground. Ugh.
I dismantled a free shed from craiglist, all rough sawn lumber. Upon stripping the vinyl I found weathered barn board siding.
So I moved everything to my place and slowly rebuilt the shed over the course of a few months.
The foundation is made from gathered fieldstones. Wow, was that a lot of work, especially using my wagon!
I changed around the layout by moving the door, adding a window and adding the double doors at the end. No nails (except for the roof). Everything’s outdoor screws. I ended up buying more reclaimed lumber to support my changes.
I made the doors (“W” battons) and even the door handles/latch on the end (my favorite accessory!). The hinges were made for me by a small blacksmith I found online.
After installing the cedar shingles I built a cupola. It’s not perfect, but boy, was it hard to make. I had a lot of “complex” angles and belves in it and was runing out of shingles so every cut had to be perfect. Although I’d design it a bit differently the next time, I was proud of the tight, beveled joints I was able to make.
Ran conduit from the barn to the shed and installed a light and outlets.
Finally, I built a gravel/stone/stonedust ramp, which I think blends well with the rustic shed. Hopefully, the tan bits (previously unexposed lumber) will gray up soon for that perfect look.