|Project by rweitz||posted 12-21-2010 06:16 AM||1274 views||1 time favorited||3 comments|
The other sister now needed something also! So I removed the busted keyboard pullout and replaced it with some hefty slides and supersized it for a writing / project surface. The old pullout was on cheap slides and made from particle board like the rest of the desk, so it pretty quickly fell apart when she used it to write on as well as quilting and sewing.
I used a birch ply for the topper and some poplar 1×4’s for the runners to mount the slides, braced with a 1/4 round. Unfortunately the plywood from Lowe’s was cheap and bowed up before I could mount it to the runners so it took several 20 mile round trips to slowly measure twice and cut once the parts to the exact dimensions of the non-square and poorly constructed desk. What looks like a rectangle is really more of a rhomboid! to fit the space under the desk and not bind too much.
Back to the cheap ply from Lowes – it was sold as birch finish ply, but the birch on the face was literally paper thin. I know I’m a printer by trade. I mean like 5 – 6 thousands of an inch. I started to sand with a 220 and went right through it. There was even a couple of voids that had not been filled just covered over with the paper thin facing.
I would not even call it a veneer it was too thin for that. Just be warned is all I’m saying.
So before I stained it, I actually went around the edges and over the areas I had sanded through – to make it look like a wavy border – no one even noticed. Screw up turned design element to the rescue!
But again, it worked and she was happy with it so worth the effort.
-- You cannot build a reputation on what you are going to do. - Henry Ford