|Project by KnickKnack||posted 1095 days ago||1123 views||6 times favorited||5 comments|
This project idea started out as something completely different, but ended up as a pair of (obviously Deco inspired) bookends.
The pictures don’t show it very well, but I’d aimed for 3 different levels of “black” – depending on your viewpoint I either failed, or it’s very subtle. I had, it must be said, hoped for more difference – the small piece was fumed for an hour (I wanted to just “take the edge off” the natural brown of the oak), the middle for 4 hours, and the last for 3 days (with 2 changes of ammonia and I put it in the sun and I’d watered it first) – I could have left it for longer, but it wasn’t changing any more – I guess once all the tannin is converted it’s cooked as much as it will cook. The last picture shows the “fumery” bag I used.
As usual, glue up was a challenge – biscuits join the slices, which helped, but getting the downward force into the dowel joints to the bottom required, as you can see, a bit of messing about – if only I liked 90° angles!
I’d intended to put a thin “band” around the ledge on the base with some thin(ish) mahogany I found on the dump, but, no matter how thin I tried to make it, it just kept breaking when I tried to bend it ‘round – maybe it would have been too fussy anyway – we’ll never know.
Fumed oak and ash. Danish oil finish.
-- "Do not speak – unless it improves on silence."