|Project by JasonWagner||posted 12-10-2010 11:11 PM||3193 views||15 times favorited||20 comments|
I’ve been wanting to make one of Andy’s art boxes for quite some time. I made an excuse to buy some nice wood for Christmas. This box is for my wife. It’s goncolo alves (aka tiger wood) for the body and bloodwood for the lid. The board I got was about 1/8” too narrow to make the lid out of one piece and insert a medallion so I had to improvise and continue the bloodwood across the whole lid. This has yet to be finished with a velvet bottom insert. I had a lot of fun making this and learned quite a few things along the way. I’m currently making another version out of lacewood with taller feet to give it a lighter feel.
A flat grind saw blade would make the splines much easier (I have a few that aren’t totally tight)
I used finish nails that were “almost” the diameter of the hinge pins. When I actually used the hinge pins with no slop I had a rubbing issue on the back of the lid. Now my very tight line around the lid has a slight gap at the back.
Sanding away my nice square box was difficult at first, but after this box I’m more confident and have some ideas for the next one.
My first time using spray lacquer. It’s great how fast it dries and how tough it is. I did have trouble getting it to smooth out totally at about 60-65 degrees in my basement.
Thank you very much Andy for the detailed tutorial and for answering a question for me. I’m excited to make another box!!!
-- some day I hope to have enough clamps to need a clamp cart!