|Project by Sam Fladung||posted 12-03-2010 02:38 AM||1681 views||3 times favorited||2 comments|
Here is a travel mug I made for my fiancée’s birthday. The mug is based off of the Travel Mug Turning Kit from Rockler. The wood is ambrosia maple. This was my first lathe project that I have done hollowing on.
Part of the process for hollowing the mug out involves drilling in from the end using a pair of large forstner drill bits to do the bulk material removal. Unfortunately, the old craftsman lathe I have doesn’t have a tailstock chuck. So I ended up building an adapter plate to allow me to mount the tailstock from my 7×12 mini-lathe to my woodlathe.
This part was more of a metal working project then a woodworking one, so I’m not sure if I should post it here. But if you are interested you can check it out on my webpage
First a hole is drilled in part way using a 1-7/8” Forstner to create the top pocket (exact distances described in the plan).
This is then followed with a smaller Forstner of 1-1/8” to make the deeper pocket.
The inside now has the stepped look.
Using a half-round scraper I then removed created a smooth contour and expanded it slightly until it was sized to the insert.
The lip is turned down with a parting tool to match the insert and the area next to the insert is turned down to be flush with the metal. The rest was simply a matter of shaping the blank using a gouge followed by a chisel and then sanding.
Once parted off I finished using a glossy polyurethane spray coating and glued the insert in place.
One trick I found while test fitting the blank was that if it got stuck I could expand the wood slightly by spreading a small amount of water onto it. This would cause the wood to release its grip on the insert slightly and allow me to remove the insert.