|Project by Chip||posted 1116 days ago||5084 views||30 times favorited||61 comments|
I’m making my first cabinet (kinda Krenov style) and am pushing myself into a number of areas I’m not use to. Because of this I spend a fair amount of time wondering what to do next, and how to do it. Larger builds take more time and are more rewarding I guess, but I need quicker gratification too. So to relax myself when I get frustrated and need to think about the cabinet, I do something more familiar… build boxes.
This one (I call it “Balance”) was to see how detailed I could get with my tuned up band saw (and new blade) and still be fairly accurate. I resawed, which is new to me, and experimented with stuff like making the small mitered framing on the walnut handle and wrapping the maple grain continuously around the box. It was fun, relaxing and very good practice for me while I wrestle with the cabinet.
“Balance” is roughly 4.5”W x 5.5”H x 22”L made with a piece of maple I found in my bin that had some decent figure, and scraps of Walnut, Padauk and Holly sprinkled in the small checkerboard.
(I broke one of my photography lights halfway through shooting the pics so I tried to color correct a few. Even though it doesn’t look like it in some pics, the Maple is consistent coloring throughout the box. And the orange Padauk blew out when I tried to color correct for the Maple on a few pics. It’s best not to fool with Mother Nature.)
Thanks for looking… and as always, any comments/critiques are welcome.
-- Better to say nothing and be thought the fool... then to speak and erase all doubt!