|Project by wdh||posted 11-28-2010 03:37 PM||3323 views||6 times favorited||8 comments|
Being tired of cleaning out the filter in my shop vac, I thought there must be abetter way so I turned to Lumberjocks and discovered dust clyclones were the way to go and there were many different versions of them, on LJ and the internet. After checking out several of them, SimonSKL,woodtooksolong,Jcoulam,Billp, I went with the simplest design. I’m not sure whose design it was, it may have been by someone I haven’t listed , so if it looks like yours, sorry if I didn’t give you credit.
Any way I did change one thing- the inlet to the cyclone. I used a 90degree elbow that I pushed through from the inside until it bottomed out on the edges of the hole I had cut in the side of the cyclone. I had cut the hole starting by drilling a hole to make it posible to get tinsnips in to cut slots. I bent the tabs made by the slots up and cut them to about 1 inch long.I then pushed the PCV elbow into the hole, bent the tabs tighter and put hot melt glue around it.I had to grind a bit off the elbow inside the clyclone as it interfered with the pipe that goes into the middle of it that goes to the vac.
This unit has a permanant location so I didn’t make a base for it.I piped it to each piece of equiptment using 2” PCV and homemade blast gates. I too was surprised how well it works! In the second picture you can see the inlet and outlet pipes configuration if you look closely.
The clyclone is made form a piece of 8” ducting mounted on a 4” PCV base.
-- Wayne,Saint John,NB