|Project by TJ65||posted 11-22-2010 08:43 AM||2347 views||0 times favorited||36 comments|
I really didn’t want to do this but I had to repost it so it I would have it in my project area. As this is my first proper 3D carving I really had to have it here.
This is the origional post here
There is more photos there and my initial thoughts after I had finished it.
And this is the link to the other shoes
Someone asked “just how long did it take- I really would hate to think as it consumed all my free time. Some days it was all day, others I could only manage a couple of hours. It was done over 3 weeks but OMG I thought it was soooo much longer.
On this post I’ve included some of the pictures of what it looked like along the way. I got a bit stuck at the lace area and that is why I took a photo as I had to send it to Jordan to ask how to go about it. The other one in the raw is how it looked just before I painted it. I have recently found out that the lump of wood I used was Huon Pine. It has a very distinct and strong aroma and easy to carve.
As for how I finished it (it still amazes me That I actually did finish it)
What I used to colour the leather part of the boot was a walnut stain. I didn’t want a solid colour here. As the real boot is very worn and patchy. Even then (as Jordan instructed) I used some 0000 steel wool to take more of the stain off in certain (worn) areas. The other bits were painted with some acrylic craft paint I used Jo Sonjas as I had a buket load. It was great to use here to.
Usually colours aren’t always the primary colours and black isn’t always black. So I had to mix my colours to get the colours that I wanted. (I actually added some blue into the black for the sole) Once I got the colours I was after It was then thinned them down quite a bit, (the sole not as much as it had to look like rubber).
1- so it would be easier to paint on the wood
2- so as with the stain, it wouldn’t be a solid colour.
3-I wanted the detailed bits of carving to show up.
After all that hard work carving I didn’t want to mess it up with the last step of painting.
The final coat was done with a matt finish poly varnish, also from Jo Sonjas. Because once again to try to keep the old and worn look. I scuffed this a bit too on the toe because it was too shiny and buffed other areas in keeping with the look of leather.
-- Theresa, https://sites.google.com/site/tmj65treasure/