|Project by RickL||posted 1205 days ago||1111 views||0 times favorited||9 comments|
A local lady contacted me to see if I could repair a chair she became attached to over the years. Best I can tell, it was originally built as a rocker since there are no stretchers between the front and back legs, with a shaw or comb back and was converted to a chair for reasons I can’t determine. She bought it at a collectables dealer. The bottom of the legs had been cut with a dowel installed and another piece added (front legs). I replaced the two broken back legs, turning them from hard maple and trying to replicate the bottom of the front legs, the back stretcher, glued and wedged the other loose joints, and glued the large crack running front to back on the seat. If you look at the seat in the “before” pics, you will see a large burn mark. I tried to sand that mark out and match the finish color. The finish is a mix of General Finishes Salem Maple and Minwax Oak. Thanks for looking.
-- Rick, Union,KY firstlightwoodworking.blogspot.com